Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Learning Something New!

I visited my mom in Oklahoma for Mother's Day weekend and on the way I stopped at a little bead shop in Bartlesville. While there I discovered that one of the owners was the designer of a gorgeous seed bead bracelet that was on the cover of Beadwork magazine. So, I bought a kit. I've not done much at all with seed beads. To be honest, I've been a little bit intimidated by them. But, how hard can it be? OK, not so hard once you figure out the stitch -- but boy, is it time consuming! I'm sure as I do it more I will get faster and my stitches will get more even, but one of those 4.5" pieces takes me 1/2 hour! (The bracelet has 9 of them.) I was surprised that the teeny tiniest beads were the easiest to work with. My bits and pieces don't look like much yet, but they have aspirations of looking like one of the bracelets shown below! My beads and flowers are brown and turquoise.
After I got to Mom's, I checked Stephanie's blog (PixieBug) and she had a new post on about The Whole Bead -- and that is where I was! I just thought that was really cool. Small world. Stephanie lives in Nebraska, I'm in Kansas, and The Whole Bead is in Oklahoma.
Maybe someday soon I will finish my bracelet and post a picture. It may be a while. I'm having a few technical difficulties these days with equipment (uugggh!) and have a really busy week and weekend coming up -- family visiting from out of town, wedding, graduation, Memorial Day service, and birthday cookout for our son. Then back to work on Tuesday and start all over again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are actually progressing at a pretty good speed! I really like to work with the smaller seed beads also. I am also amazed at what a small world it is, and how the tiniest thing can link us together! I enjoy working with seed beads, but you are right, stringing a bracelet or necklace or a pair of earrings is much quicker! I get the art fix from the seed beads though. Keep up the work, you'll get there, and you're actually further on yours than I am!