Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hazel

Something about this one reminds me of one of my very best friends - my Grandma Hazel. I think it is the combination of the vintage beads and the freshness of the copper and the Botswana Agate gemstones. Grandma Hazel was a sweet Christian lady who was full of grace and unconditional love. She also had a lot of creativity and a quiet sense of humor. That little bit of spunk would just come out when least expected. She began to get forgetful her last several years in her home and one year at Christmas when we all got there she wasn't wearing her wig. I didn't think much of it because she often peeled that thing off when it was just us two anyway. But, as we gathered around the Christmas tree, one of the great grandkids spied her wig tucked inside the Christmas tree like a decoration. I don't think anyone pointed it out because no one wanted to embarrass her (but there was lots of stifled giggles). I can't even remember how she found it and what took place - knowing her she just brushed if off with an "oh, there's that thing" and put it back on her head (maybe even a little lopsided) and went on like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I never did know if she had lost the wig or if she was playing a joke on us. Grandma Hazel has been gone now for more than three years but her legacy lives on. What a wonderful gift from God she was to me!

No comments: