Thursday, August 2, 2007

Magnets and Watches - Warning!

I have been making quite a few bracelets with magnetic clasps. I love them and so do my customers. But, I have also been having trouble for the past year or so with any wristwatch I wear losing time. I can lay them on the dresser and leave them for a week and they will keep perfect time. Within several hours of wearing one, it will lost 15-20 minutes. I was talking to a jeweler tonight and he was telling me about his dad who seemed to have more of a magnetic field around him and couldn't wear a watch at all. I looked down and saw the bracelet I always wear on the wrist with my watch and it has a magnetic clasp on it. (I immediately moved the bracelet to the other wrist.) He seemed to think that often times the damage to the watch is permanent. I think I'll test my watches and see what happens when I wear them without the bracelet on that wrist. He suggested that I take my watch off whenever I am working with magnets.

In addition, he also told me that the people at the jewelry counters in discount stores ruin a lot of watches because they are not properly trained to replace watch batteries. He said it doesn't take much to touch the insides of a watch wrong and mess it all up -- they don't always stop running altogether, they just do things like lose time, etc.

Thought I'd just pass that information on. I'm hoping it solves my problem with wrist watches! I suppose a little time will tell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have one of those "magnetic" personalities~my body drains the juice out of watches. I stopped wearing them several years ago, and with the job I have, repetitive motion problems with my wrists are made worse by wearing the watch anyway. I do feel like I am in my own time zone sometimes!

Carla said...

I've also heard that it is important to be sure that those with pacemakers do not wear jewelry with magnetic clasps. It can be awkward asking folks about it--the other day, I just said to a group of older women--one who wanted to use a magnet "I'm not wearing a pacemaker, is anyone else?" Probably not the smoothest way to ask a customer, but we got a giggle out of it.

Your advice on the Pixy Bug blog was wise and wonderful!

Angie Leech said...

Thanks for the extra warning. I would probably not thought of pacemakers. We did find out not to use them to suspend a suncatcher (I call them Bling Things) from a rearview mirror with a compass on it! It didn't do permanent damage, but did mess it up while on there!