Sunday, September 30, 2007

African Jade, Russian Japer, Botswana Red Carnelian

This necklace drapes beautifully when worn. I really like this design too. It is more light and airy than most of the gemstone sets.

I had someone ask me the other night if I got my ideas off the Internet or if I came up with the designs on my own. Just in case you are curious about that too, each design is my own. (I love to look at magazines and catalogs and fellow designers' websites because I pick up bits of inspiration from all kinds of places.) I'm never quite sure what I will come up with when I sit down at the bead board in my studio. In fact, I am unable to go shopping for beads to make a specific design. It would take me hours just to pick out the beads and then when I got them home, I probably would not even use them for the intended project (unless of course, you have commissioned me to custom design something for you and that is what you picked out!). So, I am always searching out beautiful or unique beads. If I love the bead, I know I will eventually use it. Sometimes I have an idea when I choose the bead, and sometimes I don't. I am usually surprised and delighted at what takes form when I sit down to design -- hence the name of my business -- Delightful Treasures.

I rarely ever produce any two pieces alike. When that does happen it is usually because someone has asked for matching pieces. When you purchase jewelry from Delightful Treasures you can be assured that you have a one-of-a-kind piece. I always tell the customer up front if that is not the case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good point about telling the customers up front! I always mention that I would not make anything I wouldn't wear myself. Unless like you said, someone ordered it. I don't like to duplicate either, even if it is a similar design, I use a different technique or types of beads. I figure once I have made it, why make it again!